Saturday, December 20, 2008

Belmopan club

Every Tuesday and Wednesday: 4:00-5:30 at George Price Center, Belmopan
Christmas celebration at the club:

After having our regular chess club we sang together with Santa special chess song written by our friend, New York City coach, Nathan Goldberg:
sing along on the tune of 12 days of Christmas..

12 Days of Chess Class

On the first day of chess class my teacher taught to me
The names of the pieces and squares
On the second day of chess class my teacher taught to me
Always show respect
On the third day of chess class my teacher taught to me
Think every turn
On the fourth day of chess class my teacher taught to me
Piece moves and captures
On the fifth day of chess class my teacher taught to me
Checking the King
On the sixth day of chess class my teacher taught to me
Illegal moves
On the seventh day of chess class my teacher taught to me
Checkmate is winning
On the eighth day of chess class my teacher taught to me
Castle and develop
On the ninth day of chess class my teacher taught to me
Five ways to draw games
On the tenth day of chess class my teacher taught to me
Teamwork and tactics
On the eleventh day of chess class my teacher taught to me
All kinds of checkmates
On the twelfth day of chess class my teacher taught to me
Pawns in the endgame
© December 2001, Nathan J. Goldberg

Then Santa gave out the presents ... His assistants - elves,Vilda and Enrico, residing in New York city,made sure that there were enough of fun presents for everybody....Thank you, elves, we hope you will visit us in Belize!

Santa also received some of the holiday chess drawings from kids:
which were illustrating another holiday poem (by Nathan Goldberg):


CHESSBOARD DREAM

Last night I had a chessboard dream,
where things were not the way they seemed.
When rain or snow fell in the air,
no drops or crystals – they were square!
The skies and oceans weren’t blue,
just black and white and square-shaped, too.
And pieces fell from chess piece trees,
instead of fruits or seeds or leaves.
The sunrise made the world look white,
the sunset made it black at night.

When I woke up my dream was gone,
and I was back where I belong.
The pieces sitting in a box,
The only sounds were ticking clocks,
A chessboard blanket on my bed,
A pillow underneath my head.
I sat up and began to play,The perfect way to start my day!


Celebrating CHESS Halloween

Coaches are involved not only in supervising children on the day like that, but in having fun as well:

we made chess Halloween pieces...
..sweet Halloween castles... had Halloween chess drawing contest...

solved puzzles like this one: 10 kings chess puzzle- in one move checkmate all 10 kings....excellent tactical puzzle

advanced group players with one of the coaches are working on solving that puzzle:
We also were making chess boards out of paper..
drew more pieces for the Halloween chess game:


more chess boards... it fun to make, but not as easy at it seems- students are helping each other to make it right

masks making table...
In the end of the club we player SUPER Halloween CHess Game-chess pieces are randomly set up on the board and each teams goal is to checkmate at least one of the opponents' kings.



No comments:

Post a Comment